Chinese Proverb

"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I may remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Chinese Proverb.

Friday, June 10, 2011

Eureka #2: A little back action!

I had another awesome epiphany a few days ago!

During a previous lesson, Adam had mentioned that the arm movement is initiated from the back. Anyway, I think I figured out what he meant!

In Lindy Hop, I "activate" my latissimus dorsi (lats) and other back muscles to create a rubber band "gush" feeling with my connection. Basically, my back and lats are the anchor; my arms, elbow, and wrist are the rubber band (absorbers) and my fingers become a relaxed hook! I think this can apply to cello playing!

So during my practice session I lightly activated my lats (on both sides) and it totally changed my body position/posture and also created a deeper, louder sound. I think if the lats are activated than the 'arm unit' can only stretch so much before its pulled back to the body which creates more weight!! Ha!!!

Although I have to watch out for the muscle affecting my hand and the rest of my body. Typically, if one part of the body is more tense than another, the other muscles will follow suit. So, just like in Lindy Hop I have to think about nice relaxed hand and activated back!! Being able to isolate different muscles comes with practice. :) 

Actually, I'm not sure if this is correct, but I'll find out during my next lesson. It feels right though...

I was really excited about going straight to the new repertoire, but thought I would play even better if I warmed up and did my usual routine; and boy, was I right! Sooooo EXCITED!!!

2 comments:

  1. I'm suprised no one commented on this post. Excellent point. Anatomy is fascinating in itself. Thanks for pointing this out.
    Does your husband massage the muscles you use in playing? Great excuse to get massages. Those muscles btw need to be rubbed horizontally more than vertically. ..just so he does it right ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, he's terrible at massages! :)

      So... my epiphany wasn't actually correct. I learned later that I should try to think of this more as an "awareness" and NOT a "tensing of" or "activating of" muscles. Apparently even just THINKING about tensing or activating muscles can make a person tense, which we're supposed to be avoiding since we're supposed to play as relaxed and effortless as possible (yeah, I wish!!).

      Oh yeah, and the upper body is supposed to rotate as one unit, which I currently do not do...yet...and I move around WAY too much! ;)

      Delete