Chinese Proverb

"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I may remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Chinese Proverb.

Friday, April 20, 2012

Lesson #61 (Jazz 4/20/2012): Body Mapping

This was an interesting lesson. I was working on adding more weight into the bow and Clayton suggested that we do some "body mapping" to help with my body awareness, and to relax my arm to get more weight into the string. We discussed what using my whole arm entailed, and visualizing my collarbone being included in my arm movement.

We went over "leading" with the arm, as I was using more of my hand again to do some bow changes instead of my larger muscles. 

He also recommended that I read: What Every Musician Needs to Know About the Body: The Application of Body Mapping to Music by Benjamin Conable.

This was an interesting lesson, but I won't go too much into detail because I think he may be writing a paper on cello technique that may have some information that we covered.

No comments:

Post a Comment